Monday, March 15, 2010

The blog turns one!



Has it been a year already? Learning about this beautiful continent, its interesting culture, peoples and politics has given me much joy. Over and over again, I have been enthralled by its natural beauty, horrified by its cruel practices and intrigued by all the diversity and richness it has to present.

All year I have felt a deep wanderlust, a yearning to travel the length and breadth of Mama Afrika. Much to my dismay, I have had to experience some disappointment in my attempts to get closer to Africa - Last year, I missed an Amadou and Mariam concert by 30 minutes (I had never heard of them), today, as FdAf turns one, my husband is off on a two week trip to South Africa, Zambia and Botswana (unfortunately, my schedule does not permit me to join him) and finally, I have to skip a Kidjo concert in two weeks (I bought tickets six months ago) because I have a mid-term early the next morning. But these are very minor things. Africa is all around you, no matter where you are.




I am eager and hopeful for that moment, when I set foot on African soil. I leave you with a beautiful number from Vusi Mahlasela, Basimanyana which I hope you will enjoy. Here's to year one!