Monday, April 13, 2009

Chamarel

The closest I’ve been to mainland Africa, is to the beautiful island of Mauritius. I crossed the equator for the first time and spent two months there in the summer of 2005. I had a great time there and hope to go back someday. My next few posts will be my journal entries from 2005.

chamarel

In the South-West of Mauritius is the lovely village of Chamarel - where one can see the gorgeous natural 7 coloured earth. The 7 coloured earth is basically layers of lava that cooled at different temperatures (which explains the different colours). Also, the colours come from the high metallic content in the earth. Rain or shine, one patch of coloured earth never mixes with another (If you mix the colured earth together - it will eventually settle into separate coloured layers! Weird, huh?) and apparently, there have been several failed attempts to flatten the earth here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Jambo!