Thursday, March 26, 2009

Mma Ramotswe in New York


As I was walking happily with my friends in the long passage of the West 4th Street station which is lined on both sides with large advertisements, I stopped suddenly. I couldn't believe my eyes! I shouted for joy! Yay!! Imagine my excitement when I realized that Mma was going to visit my home.

Yes, Mma Ramtoswe has arrived in the US and the first episode of the BBC-HBO series will air on Sunday, March 28th, 2009 at 8PM. The trailer is fantastic and looks very promising. I'm already of the opinion that the casting is very good. I have my popcorn and throw ready and I am counting down to Sunday night.

Check out the trailer and official website for the TV show here. More on the Wiki page and the official BBC website for the show. I can't wait to say "Dumela, Mma!"

Update to Post, Post-Episode 1:


The 2-hour pilot episode is fantastic. The casting is phenomenal - they couldn't have found a better Mma Ramotswe, Mma Makutsi or Mr. J.L.B Matekoni. I am astonished by Jill Scott's African accent. She fits the role perfectly and even manages to bring forth Mma Ramotswe's sense of humour and confidence, with a dazzling smile. Botswana is captured beautifully, particularly in the early scenes where Precious Ramotswe is still a little girl (and what a cute little girl, she is!). Much to my surprise, the TV show brought the true spirit of the books alive in an effortless manner. I loved and enjoyed every moment. Ah, the joy of hearing the words out loud... "Aye, Mma!".

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Jambo!